The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has released updated... Read More
- Advising a clothing manufacturer in relation to the liquidation of a national retailer and the consequential TUPE implications of outsourcing commercial contracts involving a multi-party action with significant financial liabilities for claims totalling in excess of £1 million – successfully defending that action on behalf of our client.
- Successful prosecution of a sex discrimination claim for a senior female executive resulting in an award of damages in the region of £250,000.
- Successful prosecution of unfair dismissal claim for a teacher in the senior management team resulting in a maximum award for unfair dismissal compensation.
- Successful prosecution of a claim of disability discrimination for a client with Motor Neurone Disease – securing a significant award of financial compensation for the client and a costs award against the claimant in excess of £30,000.
- Advising a client in the care sector on highly sensitive matters resulting in summary dismissal and criminal prosecution for gross misconduct and breach of professional standards relating to a number of care workers and managers.
- Co-ordinating and managing the strategic corporate integration of the workforces of 2 large facilities management companies post completion of a £200 million takeover. The legal advice covered collective consultation with trade union representatives and the election of employee representative committees and advising on complex TUPE and redundancy scenarios across a UK wide workforce. – with the outcome of not a single ET claim being made against the client.
What people say about Paul
- “Paul Johnstone is an incredible teacher, mentor, guide for our senior managers. They have an enormous amount of trust in his knowledge and ability. He is a fantastic communicator who is able to ensure our staff understand the complexities of Employment Law.” -(Legal 500 2023)
- “Paul is responsive and dependable but most of all incredible knowledgeable in his field of work.” -(Legal 500 2023)
- “Paul has had a huge influence on our organisational culture when it come to positive employment practice. He is a key reason for our rating of “Outstanding” from our CQC regulators.” –(Legal 500 2023)
- “Paul Johnstone is an asset to our organisation.” –(Chambers UK Legal Guide 2023)
- “His pragmatic and considered approach as well as his responsiveness really help us focus on the key risks involved.” –(Chambers UK Legal Guide 2023)
- “Paul Johnstone inspires an ‘enormous amount of trust in his knowledge and ability’” – (Legal 500 2023)
- “Paul is extremely knowledgeable and provides practical advice.” – (Chambers and Partners 2022)
- “We have a great deal of faith in his advice and the support he provides – he responds promptly and often guides us through complex situations.” – (Chambers and Partners)
- He has been recommended as a notable practitioner in Chambers legal directory for a number of years and was praised by one client as a “very effective advocate” who is “robust in Tribunals and stands firm when the occasion demands.”
- Another client describes Paul as “honest, understanding and empathetic”, adding: “I value his confident and professional approach and his ability to pursue and secure a successful outcome.”
- Paul is “local, responsive, incredibly knowledgeable and enabling” and “very practical” – (Client)
Outside of work
Paul enjoys spending time with his family and his dog. Paul is an avid reader of literary fiction and a writer-composer member of the Performing Rights Society. Paul continues to maintain a lifelong passion for going to gigs, songwriting and playing music.